Our daily life has become accustomed to the use of plastic as it has turned out to be an effective means to keep our food and daily life products, safe and healthy. You can find the use of plastic in almost every walk of life. For example, food packaging, food cartons, food cans, Care items, Children hygienic products, Gift wrappers, fabrics, and plastic teacups etc. We all are aware of the threats that plastic pollution is posing to our environment and ever-growing plastic pollution has turned out to be a serious issue which needs to be lessened as soon as possible. Below are mentioned some eco-friendly and sustainable alternatives to the usage of plastic:
- Stainless steel: Using stainless steel has turned out to be an effective choice for food and beverages storage. Lunch boxes, disposable glasses, kitchenette items can be replaced with this metal which is tough and easy to deal.
- Glass: Not biodegradable but glass has this specific property of being able to be recycled continuously. Since the use of glass for food items such as honey, jam, pickles, and butter has increased over the time, it can be used to store food remains, drinks etc. Plus, you can use glass bottles for decorating your home with indoor plants.
- Beeswax-coated fabrics: Being an easy to use and clean clothing material with a sense of fragrance , it can be used to replace plastic wrappings and plastic bags etc.
- Wood: House-hold items such as cooking utensils, Vegetable cutting boards and brushes for hygiene purposes can be made by using wood from sustainable means therefore, reducing the usage of plastics at home.
- Bamboo: Its use is growing rapidly as it has emerged out as one of the renewable sources that can replace the use of plastic in crockery and intake straws.
- Paper: Paper can be used for Wrapping services. You can safely use paper for packing your expensive items as it is easy to use and compostable.
- Cardboard: The use of plain cardboards for packaging products have been increased recently by some companies to compensate the plastic pollution. Cardboards can serve as a container for storing any kind of item.
- Bioplastics: These are the kind of plastics that are recyclable and compostable and are derived from natural resources. They do not breakdown in homes and landfills etc. but need commercial methods for decomposition. Their usage has extended our disposable existence.
- Pressed hay: It has been used in Poland as egg cartons and has turned out to be an effective technique to reduce the usage of plastic for storing food items.
Why it has become necessary to eliminate the use of plastic and why the world is trying to introduce alternatives for plastic usage? Because as you try to alleviate the contribution of plastic to environment from your side, you are contributing in saving our planet. Over the time, we all hope that use of plastic for our daily life products will be completely wiped out one day and the time is not far.